Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leave the Parrot on the Bay Coconut Shrimp w/ Pineapple Dipping Sauce



Baked Coconut Shrimp w/ Pineapple Dipping Sauce

I am a huge fan of Red Lobster's Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp w. Pina Colada sauce. I am NOT a fan, however, of the damage it does on the scale. According to livestrong.com, just 3 coconut shrimp at Red Lobster will cost you 588 calories & about 17 grams of fat? Who only eats 3 shrimp??? Not me, and not in my kitchen.  Here's my yummy, coco-nutty take on it!!! 

So throw on some Marley, and escape to the Islands while eating this treat....because 'every little thing is gonna be alright'

Ingredients
For the shrimp:
12 large shrimp, thawed & peeled
1/4 cup dry shredded/flaked unsweetened coconut
1/2 egg
1 T almond-coconut milk (or plain milk is fine)
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes
1 splenda or truvia packet
black pepper

Sauce:
1/4 cup fresh pineapple, chopped.
2 tablespoons of pina colada mix
2 tablespoons dry shredded/flaked unsweetened coconut
1 splenda or truvia packet

Method
Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil & spray with canola cooking spray.

Mix coconut and splenda in a cereal bowl. 



 In another bowl mix the panko and spices.



 In a third bowl, crack egg & whisk in milk.



Place shrimp in egg mixture. For the record, I can count. There are 13 here. I was at the end of my bag of shrimp, and I didn't feel like putting 1 shrimp back in the freezer. 



Roll  shrimp into panko mixture, then return to egg mixture. Roll shrimp in coconut. Place on baking sheet.




Bake on the middle rack (unless you want more color on the coconut, like me) for about 10-15 minutes--or until coconut is golden brown/toasted. Turn shrimp 1/2 through baking.



Meanwhile, make the sauce. Mix pina colada mix, chopped pineapple, coconut & splenda. 




Chill slightly if ingredients (pineapple/colada mix) are not already cold.



Serve with hot shrimp.

Serves 1. 

Tip: This is great with steamed broccoli & sweet potato fries!

Other Information
WW 9pt+ for 12 coconut shrimp
WW 3pt+ for sauce

Note: Not a fan of splenda/truvia?? By all means, use real sugar. Here are the points:

SHRIMP: WW 9pt+ if you add 1 teaspoon of white sugar; WW 10pt+ if you add 2 teaspoons of white sugar.

SAUCE: WW 4pt+ with 1 teaspoon of white sugar added. I wouldn't add more than this because the pina colada mix has plenty of sugar in it!
Legal Information
Coconut shrimp recipe based on Thai Shrimp--Coconut Shrimp
Photos are mine, so don't be a thief.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Laura this looks amazing! I love them from RL so I hope I can make these. I want them now!! Good job on the recipe and slimming it down. Yay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerryann! I know you can make them. They are super easy AND delicious!! If not, we can make them together at our next girls night! :)

    ReplyDelete