I had some eggplant left over after making the Eggplant parmesan the other day, so I started brain storming. Lately, I've been trying to do 1-2 vegetarian days a week, just to cut down on meat consumption. This is the product of trying to come up with a tasty, yet vegetarian lunch.
Eggplant, Brie, Pepper & Pesto SandwichIngredients
2-3 thin slices of eggplant
1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t Mrs. Dash garlic & herb salt free seasoning
1/4 sweet bell pepper, sliced (red, yellow, or orange)
1 oz low fat brie cheese
1 T pesto
1 100% whole wheat sandwich thin (I used Kroger brand)
1. Turn on broiler. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Lay pepper & eggplant on the pan. Brush with evoo (both sides) and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash seasoning.
3. Broil for 5 or so minutes and turn. Broil another few minutes. Watch them so they don't burn!
4. Spread 1 T of pesto over each side of a 100% whole wheat sandwich thin. Lay pepper & eggplant on top of one side of the sandwich thin. Place sliced brie on top.
5. Return to broiler and melt.
6. Place other half of sandwich thin on top. You could also eat this open-faced.
Note: Always be sure to compare the point value of the specific products that you use. Some of the sandwich thins are higher in points!