A lot of people are creatures of habit when it comes to breakfast. Why not switch it up? This recipe is tasty, healthy and FAST. It comes together in minutes--literally in the time it takes to toast a waffle.
This recipe uses ricotta cheese. Basically, ricotta cheese & italian food are BFF's. It can be found in ravioli, cannolis, lasagna, manicotti, even pizza. The word means "recooked" in Italian.
Why use it? Here are 3 good reasons why to incorporate part skim ricotta into your diet:
1) Calcium: Per 1/2 cup of ricotta, you will get 258 mg of calcium--that's 26% of your daily recommended value! (Livestrong.com)
2) Protein: Per 1/2 cup, ricotta cheese delivers 14g of protein. Protein is essential to repair our tissues, as well as help to build and maintain muscle. (livestrong.com) After all, no one wants to look like a noodle!
3) Fat: No, not the kind that sticks to your tush. We're talking Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids! This is important because our bodies cannot naturally produce these fats, so we must get them from food! These fats boost brain development & function, and regulates blood pressure. (livestrong.com)
Waffles w/ Ricotta & Fruit
2 whole grain blueberry waffles (I used light Kashi blueberry)
2 T part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup fresh or unsweetened frozen fruit mixture (I used a mixture peaches, strawberries, grapes, mango & pineapple from Kroger)
1. Toast waffles as directed on package. If you feel adventurous, you can make your own waffles.
2. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta and splenda.
3. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over waffles
4. Top with fruit. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
WW: 5 p+ for both waffles
Base recipe: Evolving Wellness: Sweet Cheese Fruit Waffles